Adobe DPS is the most popular digital publishing tool, about 80 % of digital issues and 150M publications built with Adobe DPS. What are pros and cons of DPS? Who are DPS customers? How much does an app cost? And asked the DPS expert David Hicks and art director of Top Gear magazine Owen Norris, what do they think of DPS and what they can advise to new publishers.
Publish on: Tablets, Phones
Supported OS: Mac OS, Windows OS (App Builder only Mac OS)
Software requirements: Adobe InDesign CS6-CC
About 80% of digital issues consumed on mobile devices made with Adobe DPS more than 150M publications. Large publishing houses, universities, corporations, small design studios and freelancers use Adobe DPS to create digital publications.
Adobe offers four pricing options:
+ Apple / Android / Windows developer subscription fee ≈ $99 per year
- Audio and video
- Pan & zoom images
- Scrollable content
- Image sequences
- Web content overlays
The Analytics page of the DPS Dashboard lets track the user data of a custom viewer app (only Professional or Enterprise) single-folio and multi-folio apps:
- App Metrics
- Issue Buy and downloads
- Publications & Issues
- Articles and Content
- Rich Media
- Visitor Profile
- Social Media
- Custom HTML tracking
Use Folio Overlays panel create and edit interactive objects.
The Folio Builder panel in InDesign is an essential part of creating a DPS app. The purpose of the Folio Builder panel is to assemble documents into a folio file that can be converted into an app. (Source)
DPS Folio Producer.
Adobe DPS App Builder.
Pros and Cons
- InDesign based
- Very little workflow change for people familiar with the Adobe products already
- No coding
- Pay when you ready to publish
- Lots of tutorials (Adobe TV and Digital Publishing Suite Help), webinars, conferences.
- Adobe DPS Forum and Community
- Regular updates and realises of new features
- Article preview on devices and desktop
- Multi-Renditions (diff. folios for diff. resolutions)
- Folio sharing
- Different subscription plans
- Free Article Preview
- Updateable issues
- Targeted scheduled Push-notification
- Streaming Audio and Video
- Secure Content
- Information Screen (allows DPS customers to present special offers, cross-sell related content or display critical information)
- Integration with CRM (Enterprise)
- Direct entitlement into DPS application enables existing print subscribers to access content on any supported digital device.
- Although the service is feature-rich, the cost could be a factor for budget-conscious organizations.
- Download sizes. The size of apps built with Adobe DPS is larger than HTML-based publication.
- App Builder is available only for Mac OS.
- All articles/folios must be hosted by Adobe when using DPS. There’s no alternative hosting option.
- Readers can’t view magazines built with DPS on a computer.
- Analytics only for Professional and Enterprise Editions.
- Adobe DPS doesn’t support multi-language publications.
- Text search isn’t supported.
What do digital publishing experts think about Adobe DPS? Pros and Cons, alternatives and their advice to new publishers.David Hicks about Adobe DPS (Digital Publishing Design Consultant) Owen Norris about Adobe DPS (TopGear Magazine Art Director)